Common sense gun control policies are necessary for reducing gun violence in America.

Home Forums Clamoring for Change Common sense gun control policies are necessary for reducing gun violence in America.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by David Fridley David Fridley 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Guy Nave
    Guy Nave
    Keymaster

As a way of provoking curiosity and pushing participants to evaluate their position on particular topics, all forum discussions are designed with a “provocative statement” as the basis for the discussion.

Participants should respond to the forum statement with strongly agree, somewhat agree, unsure, somewhat disagree, or strongly disagree and then in their comments explain why.

Thomas C. Johnson
    Thomas C. Johnson
    Participant

I strongly agree with this statement. Do we repeal the 2nd amendment? Likely not. But, we must use common sense in thinking about who should have access to particular types of guns. As one example, does any human being (beyond military personnel, sadly) need an assault rifle? What is a legitimate purpose for owning one?

R.J. Johnson
    R.J. Johnson
    Participant

As part of an overall strategy I totally agree. The devil of course is in the details. There are obvious choices that currently enjoy wide support in the wake of the Parkland shooting, like universal background checks and raising the age to acquire (at least some) guns. We should strike while the iron is hot and it’s encouraging that corporate America is voluntarily making changes such as no long selling AR15s (Dicks) or raising the age to acquire a gun (Walmart, Dicks, Kroger). At the same time we cannot loose sight of addressing equally important factors such as mental heath challenges, threat assessment (we knew about his threats to kill students) and how we handle attacks. There was no reason for example, post Columbine, for law enforcement to delay entry into the active shooter situation at Parkland. We should analyze how it is possible that despite knowing about this specific threat well in advance, we failed to prevent it. In short, we need an all of the above approach.

Emily Shore
    Emily Shore
    Participant

Agreed with R.J. As part of an overall strategy, but as he stated, there are different angles from which we can attack this particular issue such as addressing mental health challenges and threat assessment as in the Florida shooting, which could have been prevented by authorities. More education is also needed in schools to combat the rampant onslaught of bullying which creates a breeding ground for trauma, which can lead to mental illness. There are simple preventative measures that can be taken. Currently, only nine states require universal background checks at the point of sale and transfer of firearms whether from a licensed or unlicensed seller. This also opens up avenues to discussing online sales and whether or not they can be tracked. Other related discussion topics include the potential for more armed security in schools, but before this extreme maneuver is even put on the table, we need to address the first challenges of mental health and threat assessment.

David Fridley
    David Fridley
    Participant

I somewhat disagree. The statement is biased and implies a solution. A problem, I agree, is “gun violence in America”. The statement implies that the solution is some kind of “Common Sense Gun Policies”.

The statement also focused on Guns, which really biases where you look for the problem. We also have problems with home made bombs and people ramming their car into crowds for example.

I’m an engineer by nature. We look for the root problem, because we know that if we cover up the symptom, the root problem will crop up again in another way. So, if we want to address gun violence, we should be open to finding the root problem, rather than just focusing on the immediate symptom. It’s uncomfortable to say this. I know there is strong public opinion, and lost of media attention, but I’m taking a risk and trying it out here. But if there is anyone technical, who can get passed the emotion in the situation, I am sure the will agree. To truly fix something, you need to understand the root problem.

Also, if you want to find solutions that everyone will support (and not just the liberal side of the population) then we should choose a more generally inclusive question. I’m not exactly sure – how about “Violence and Mass Murder – do we do anything about it?”

I don’t know what the root problem is, and I ‘feel’ it is a deeper problem that we need to address. And finding and fixing that might fix a lot of other things too. (Like whether or not one feels safe/comfortable expressing their thoughts in a public form like this).

Lastly – I am not speaking against common sense gun policies – I just want to fix the real problem.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.